The kitchen is the room in your house that gets used the most. It is where we gather to share meals and good times with family and friends. Not all home owners have the opportunity to design their own kitchen. If you have that honor, consider these seven important elements to create a functional masterpiece that you will enjoy for years to come.
- Floor plan – consider all aspects of your design on paper before you commit to any cabinetry. To make the most out of your space, you might want to contact specialists like SJD who can help you design the perfect space. Experts will also be able to tell you what is possible to do and what is unadvisable depending on your set up.
- Floor covering – this is the second item to consider. To be functional, the floor must be easy to clean and resistant to the heavy traffic it will endure. Tiles are amazing, but if you spend a lot of time on your feet, you might prefer hardwood or bamboo floors. If you are not sure of how each feel; visit kitchen centers and compare them before you decide which one is for you.
- Next comes the storage – make sure that in your kitchen you have enough storage to place everything within your reach. This is the time to plan a broom closet or a recycling centre. Have you considered a real pantry? Why not? Think about everything you want out of sight, yet accessible like the toaster or coffee maker, and include it in your design.
- Seating arrangement – do you want to have a breakfast nook by the window or a place to sit at the counter? Do you like to entertain while you prepare your meals? If so, having a place for your guests to sit and sip on a glass of wine while you mix the salad is essential.
- Kitchen triangle – in a functional kitchen, you want to situate the stove, the sink and the refrigerator in a way that makes them easily accessible and within reach of each other. You want to save your steps and quickly access the things you need. Take a moment to visualise your triangle and put it on paper.
- Lighting – Aside from ceiling fixtures that will provide light to the entire room, consider adding under cupboard lighting that will be useful when you are reading recipes and will display a nice glow at night, when the ceiling lights are turned off. Don’t forget the area above the sink; this is a place where you will need the most lighting.
- Appliances – In your functional kitchen, you want appliances that are useful, worth their cost and will last you for a long time. To save counter space, mount the microwave under a cupboard or within one. A self-cleaning oven is a good investment as it will save you time and effort. Buy a refrigerator that is large enough to contain everything your family needs.
There could be many more items to include when designing a functional kitchen, but these are the essential one to consider.
Post Source: http://www.architectureartdesigns.com/7-important-elements-functional-kitchen-design/